Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday: Eli Elephant by Little Birdie Baby Shop

Happy Tuesday! Or Happy Tutorial-ing... uh? Not sure if that one works, but in any case I'm happy to have you here this Tuesday. I'm really excited about today's tutorial because it's the first one I've done start to finish without an outside pattern or anything. And he's just so stinkin' cute!



Meet "Eli"
He's an elephant, just waiting to meet your little one. 
{even if your "little one" is a dog, it's still a fun project!}



OK, here's what you need:

12"x12" fabric of your choice
needle & thread or sewing machine {I used to be a needle & thread-er, I feel ya guys!}
coordinating piece of felt, or felt scraps
polyfill


Start by pressing out your fabric so it's nice and smooth...



Then, fold your fabric in half with the right sides facing each other.
Draw your elephant shape. He doesn't have to be perfect, he's plush!



Next, sew all around your outline. 
I used the wonky looking zig zag, but I like to see the thread on the outside all "rustic style."
I would suggest pinning your fabric together so everything stays straight.
 {I didn't pin but I used flannel, and it sticks to itself pretty well.}



Be sure to leave an opening to turn inside out. {see pin}
I like to use the space at the bottom because it's less noticeable when you have to sew it back up.



Now cut out your shape! 
I use pinking shears to keep things from fraying {just in case}, 
aaaaand I like the way the little zig-zaggy edges look. Never said I wasn't a dork!



Now get to turning!
{I find that it helps to start by pushing the trunk out first, since it's furthest from the hole.}



Now it's time to stuff him! 
I got this little chopstick-y thing in a bag of polyfil, I'm pretty sure they all come with one, but you can use a chopstick or even a pencil to help get the stuffing in all the little corners and crannies.



Ta DA! All stuffed and ready to sew. I don't usually stuff them too full, just because little baby hands can grab on and chew on it a little better when it's not sooooo full.



I don't know if this stitch has a name, but I stitch in kind of an X pattern. 
It's easy, sturdy, keeps the fabric flat when I'm finished, and goes along with my other rustic edges.



Now for the ears...
Cut ears from your scrap of coordinating felt. 
Mine are about 2 inches long, and just kind of floppy looking and oval shaped.



You can sew these on and they'll turn out great. 
However, I do something a little different...I use embroidery floss 
{because it's heavier duty and you won't run the risk of those sweet little baby hands pulling an ear off} Loop it all the way through the elephant to the other side so his ears are "tufted" to his head like a pillow.
Just pin both ears down to it's head, and it will be easy-peasy.



And here you are! A little Eli the Elephant of your very own. 
{Of course, you can always make him girly and name her Ellie. I don't mind. :) }



OH wait!! 
And if you partner him up with a matching burpie, bib, and jingle block, 
you've got yourself a rockin' baby shower gift set in no time flat! ;)



I hope you all enjoyed this week's tutorial! If anyone makes their own Eli/Ellie, be sure to show me! I love seeing what everyone's adaptations are. :)

Come link up your projects for the week below, I can't wait to see what you've been working on!! Feel free to grab a button if you're linking up!



XOXO



2 comments:

  1. Very cute elephant and great, easy to follow, tutorial! My son is a little past this stage but I might have to make one just for me!

    Cheers :-)
    - CoconutPalmDesigns

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely adorable!!!

    Lora
    www.butternutboutique.com

    ReplyDelete