I really haven't come across a coffee cake that I love....until now. I can honestly say that I love this cake. I made the 13x9 version simply because I did not have time to bake a bundt cake. Also, as you can see in the picture below I did not make the glaze. The cake was truly delicious by itself. For best results have a slice that has been slightly warmed, for about 15 seconds in the microwave, with a cup of strong coffee in the morning before the kids wake up.
· 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
· 1 cup granulated sugar
· 2 eggs
· 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 3/4 cup applesauce
· 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
· 1 teaspoon baking soda
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1-2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) HERSHEY'S Cinnamon Chips
· 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
· EASY GLAZE (recipe follows) or powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
2. Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl on medium speed of mixer until well blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Mix in applesauce. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in cinnamon chips and pecans, if desired. Spread in prepared pan.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Drizzle with glaze or sprinkle with powdered sugar. 12 to 15 servings.
EASY GLAZE: Stir together 3/4 cup powdered sugar and 1 to 2 tablespoons warm water.
FLUTED CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup fluted tube pan. Prepare batter as directed; pour into prepared pan. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in thickest part comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes; invert onto wire rack. Cool completely.
CUPCAKES: Paper-line 24 muffin cups (2-1/2-inches in diameter) Prepare batter as directed; spoon into prepared cups. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.