Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tuesday Tutorial - No Sew Tote Bag from Recycled T-Shirt

Here's a practical idea for reusing old t-shirts!  Tutorial provided by CRAFT IDEAS FOR KIDS.  I like this site because they usually have fun recycle ideas for craft projects that I can do with my girls.  Lang of MegOri Girls Boutique

How to Make No-Sew Tote Bag Craft from Recycled Old T-Shirts

Who doesn’t have tons of old t-shirts that they don’t even wear anymore? I have tons so I decided to make a tote bag out of one of them. I hate to sew, so I thought of a way to do it without sewing. It landed up being very easy to make. These are so easy to make that you can make a dozen of them to take with you to use instead of plastic or paper grocery bags. Why throw more plastic bags into a trash heap, when you can help the environment by not using these wasteful bags anymore. Follow the easy-to-follow, step by step instructions below.

How to Make No-Sew Tote Bag Craft from Recycled Old T-Shirts

Crafts Materials Needed

- Old T-Shirt
- Scissor

Step 1

Step 1 : Making No-Sew Tote Bags with T-Shirts Craft for Kids
Take out your t-shirt. Cut off the sleeves and a portion of the collar as well.

Step 2

Step 2 : Making No-Sew Tote Bags with T-Shirts Craft for Kids
This is what your t-shirt will look like after you cut off the sleeves and collar.

Step 3

Step 3 : Making No-Sew Tote Bags with T-Shirts Craft for Kids
Now cut slits on the bottom of the t-shirt (going through both sides). Cut each slit about a half inch apart. We are going to use these slits to tie the bottom of the t-shirt together with double knots. If you don’t know how to tie knots, then the instructions below will help.

Step 4

Step 4 : Making No-Sew Tote Bags with T-Shirts Craft for Kids

Step 5

Step 5 : Making No-Sew Tote Bags with T-Shirts Craft for Kids

Step 6

Step 6 : Making No-Sew Tote Bags with T-Shirts Craft for Kids
Now pull the 2 tabs sticking out until it is tight and you have one knot. Now do this process again to make a double knot.

Step 7

Step 7 : Making No-Sew Tote Bags with T-Shirts Craft for Kids
After you have tied all of the slits together, your bag will look something like the above picture.

Step 8

How to Make No-Sew Tote Bag Craft from Recycled Old T-Shirts
This is what your bag looks like with stuff in it. It is very sturdy as this tote bag is filled with very heavy books. I hope that you had fun.

3 comments:

  1. There is really a lot of way on making a tote bag that is a good idea using a old cloth.Pretty Good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea and have made several myself...along with my teenage granddaughters. Great tutorial - thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need mine to hold beach toys and sand castle molds, so I decided to put a plastic bag inside it, to keep sand out of the material as I hope to use it for other things as well. I have just gone through my wardrobe and I have a whole bag full of t shirts that don't fit. This is a perfect use!����➡��

    ReplyDelete