Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Feature Shop: MegOri Girls

This week, meet Lang of MegOri Girls. She's been active on our team since she joined more than a year ago, and she manages the tutorials posted to the blog each week. Read on to learn more about this busy mom of two! -Cori of Peace, Baby! Batiks


What is your name?
Lang

Where are you located?
Northwest region of the Chicago area

Tell us a little about yourself.
I am married and have two girls age 8 and 11. I originally came from Vietnam but married to an Irish husband who's U.S. born. Before becoming an SAHM, I worked as an staff accountant for various companies. Some of the things I most enjoy doing are sewing, reading, watching movies, gardening, baking, tasting new food, and spending time with my family.

What do you sell in your Etsy shop?
Mostly clothes and shoes for 18" dolls

Doll Boots, Off White, Cream with black trim

How long have you been sewing and designing doll clothing and accessories?
I started to sew at about nine years old and took some breaks in between kids but never truly stopped. My sewing background is largely related to women's and children's fashion. Sewing doll clothes and accessories is a passion that I picked up within recent years when my girls and I discovered the beautiful American Girl dolls!

What or who got you started in your craft?
My (late) mom was the first person who taught me how to sew. I took some sewing classes but mostly did a lot of self teaching over the years. My mom had an antique sewing machine that had the foot peddle, and that was what she used to teach me. I even managed to make a few things out of that peddling sewing machine!! Now every time I see them, I think of Mom.

Ruffle Top and Leggings & Bracelet Beige with Red Rose Trims

Tell us the story behind this item: Ruffle Top and Leggings & Bracelet. What inspired you?
I was inspired by the sunny cheerful weather that day and wanted to make something playful and girly, so I decided to make a ruffle outfit for the dolls.

How did your shop get its name?
“MegOri” is a combination of the names of my two daughters, Meglan and Orianna. I named the shop in their honor because I would not have turned to doll clothes and shoes if I didn’t have girls. So, they were the original inspiration that brought me to where I am today.

Pink Turtleneck with Mauve Leggings and Black Shawl Poncho

How do you balance mothering and running a small business?
It gets hard at times because no matter what I do, it’s never enough time in a day to do everything I want to do. I think in reality there’s no such “good balance” when you run a small business and have children at home. If you get something done, something else falls behind. I learn to set daily priorities and come up with smaller goals to reach, and I am much more “lenient” to myself than I was before I had the shop. Some days my plan is just “go with the flow” where not everything will get done but something will be done, and that’s okay. I also always try to put the kids first.

What is one piece of advice or a tip you'd give other stay-at-home moms?
Set your priorities straight, and stay focused on what’s most important to you. Plan your life the way you think works for you not on how other moms do.

Do you have a favorite quote or inspirational saying you'd like to share?
"The way you treat yourself sets the standard for others." -Sonya Friedman

Pink Damask Dress, Headband, Bracelet

What do you like to browse for on Etsy?
I enjoy looking at beautiful paintings, aroma candles, tiny crochet animals, and women's or girl's clothes.

What is your favorite Etsy shop currently?
Love this creation and can’t believe that it’s edible: www.etsy.com/listing/81883833/sugar-gumpaste-hot-pink-anemones-set-of

Where can we find you?
www.megorigirls.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/megorigirlsboutique
www.twitter.com/megorigirls
www.pinterest.com/megorigirls/

No comments:

Post a Comment