Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Feature Shop: Butternut Boutique

This month, "Meet Your Leaders"! All of the shop profiles this October will be about the ladies who lead this team. This week, meet Lora of Butternut Boutique, a former litigator with a craft workspace to die for ... -Cori of Peace, Baby! Batiks

What is your name?
Lora

Where are you located?
Sunny Phoenix, Arizona

Tell us a little about yourself.
I’m a SAHM of two little girls: one is 6, and the other is 4. I was a litigator (criminal and civil prosecutor) for 11 years when I decided to become a WAHM (work-at-home mom). I miss being in the courtroom, but I’m so glad I’m not missing watching my little girls grow up.


Cinderella Fabric Covered Button Snap Clips


What type of merchandise will shoppers find in your shop?
Simple hair accessories for women and children, re-useable fabric snack/cosmetic bags, and crafting supplies.

How/why did you get started?
I was blessed/surprised with two girls who came out with full heads of hair. I purchased quite a few hair accessories that I wasn’t happy with due to quality issues and not staying in the hair, or being too expensive, or made with toxic materials like E6000 or lead. So I deconstructed some of them and figured out how to make them on my own. Friends wanted to buy them, but I’m a perfectionist and they weren’t quite perfect enough for me to sell. After a solid year of making various items, I was finally ready to sell to others, and opened my Etsy shop in January of 2010. My slogan is boutique quality at Target prices.

Re-Useable Set of Snack and Sandwich Bags in Designer Trains Fabric

How long have you been crafting?
I’ve been doing some sort of craft since I was a child. I still enjoy cross-stitching and doing creative things in my down time.

What inspires you to create?
My beautiful little girls, of course, are my main inspiration. Anything I make for the shop, I duplicate for them. My first grader has even helped me design quite a few hair clips.

Felt Flower Hair Clip


What is one thing you need to have with you while you craft?My iPod in its speaker station, loaded with every Glee album made. My girls now think all of the Glee remakes are the original songs. I also turned the room adjoining my craft studio into an art studio for my girls, so we can all create at the same time:


What is your favorite thing to browse Etsy for?
Fabric, which I absolutely love with a passion, which cracks me up since I actually flunked home ec in junior high (shh!). And then supplies. I always try to buy from an Etsy seller when possible.

Butterfly Hair Clip Keeper

When you're not crafting, what are you doing?Besides working in my paying job? Reading. I go through a few books a week, mostly on my Kindle. I also have to work out every morning on the treadmill in my bedroom in order to be a sane mommy. Endorphins are a SAHM’s Prozac. (Yeah, I need to put that on a T-shirt.)

Where can we find you?
My shop is located at http://www.butternutboutique.com. My Facebook page is http://www.facebook.com/ButternutBoutique. I post coupons for my FB fans periodically.

Yellow Ribbon Daisy Flower Hair Clip

What is your favorite shop (not yours) on Etsy currently?
My favorite fabric source right now: http://www.etsy.com/shop/luckykaerufabric

And don't miss this: Lora's awesome crafting and sewing studio!

1 comment: