Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Feature Shop: Nate's Mommy Made It!

Good morning! Makisha, of Nates Mommy Made It!, is a busy mom of two and an active member of our team. Keep reading to meet her and then check out her lovely shop of handmade children's items! -Cori of Peace, Baby! Batiks

What is your name?
Makisha

Where are you located?
Issaquah, WA. About 20 minutes east of Seattle

Tell us a little about yourself.
I'm a SAHM of two little ones under the age of four, Nate and Sierra. I have been married to my wonderful husband Marc for five years. Before having children, we loved to travel and see the world. Now that they are getting bigger, we are excited to show the world to our kids! I love coffee, the sun on my face, the sound of the ocean, frogs croaking, children laughing, favorite music playing, and lazy Saturday mornings. One of my favorite things to do is read and sing to my kids!

Mix And Match - Set of 3 Reusable Snack Bags

What type of merchandise will shoppers find in your shop?
I have a wide variety of baby and children's items in my shop. From baby blankets, ribbon sensory blankets, reusable cloth wipes, plush animals, and reusable snack bags. A little bit of everything for little ones!

How/why did you get started?
I started my little shop almost a year ago. I started thinking about opening it two years before that, but a move to a different state, and the birth of our daughter delayed it for a while. I had always felt it was important to be able to stay at home with my children, so I needed to find a way to supplement our income while doing so. I absolutely LOVED the flannel blankets that my mom had made for my children when they were born, so I thought I'd start with that. Now, I can't stop finding new items to make!

Ribbon Mini Minky Baby Lovey Blanket - Mod Dots

How long have you been sewing? How did you get started?
I have been sewing since I was about 10. I received my first sewing machine at 12, although I never quite got into it much until recently. Having six children, my mom has always been a huge sewer and crafter, mostly out of necessity. Really, my entire family is very crafty. To be honest, I never thought I had it in me, but I quickly realized I did!

What is your favorite thing to make?
I love making my little plush elephants! Nate's favorite animal is an elephant, and I recently made one for him using his favorite outgrown PJ'S. It turned out really cute.

What inspires you to create?

My kids, for sure! A lot of the things I make, I also use in my home. We get a lot of enjoyment out of these things, and I would love for someone else to also.

Pink and Cream Flower Blossoms Chenille Blanket - Baby Shower Gift Set

What is one thing you need to have with you while you craft?

Usually coffee! Quiet, and kid free helps!

How do you balance mothering and running a small business?
It's definitely hard to do. I try to work on small things while my littlest is napping, and Nate is happy to help do "crafts" with me. I am also fortunate to have a great husband who is willing to help out and give me some free time in the evenings to get some sewing time in.

Corduroy Plush Kitty Cat

What is your favorite thing to browse Etsy for?

Anything and everything!

When you're not crafting, what are you doing?
When I'm not doing the usual daily grind..... I like to go on nature walks and hikes with my kids, listen to music, go camping, work in my garden, anything outdoors really!

Where can we find you?
www.etsy.com/shop/NatesMommyMadeit
www.facebook.com/NatesMommyMadeIt1

What is your favorite shop on Etsy currently?

Without a doubt........www.etsy.com/shop/thewheatfield. I love her work, just beautiful!

Green and Brown Damask Minky Stroller Blanket

1 comment: