Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Feature Shop: Pickwick Press

Good morning! Our feature team member this week is Lucia of Pickwick Press. She's an active member of our team and a busy BNR/BNS host! -Cori of Peace, Baby! Batiks


What is your name?
Lucia

Where are you located?
Just outside of Philadelphia, PA.

Little Red Riding Hood Inspired Silhouette Set Framed

Tell us a little about yourself.
I'm 34 years old and a SAHM of a beautiful 2½-year-old daughter, Sofia. I'm a licensed attorney and certified elementary school teacher but, right now, I'm loving staying home with my daughter and being an Etsian :) I've always loved to create whether it was painting, drawing, knitting, or baking cookies. When I opened up my Etsy shop I had no clue what I was going to sell! It took several weeks before I started honing in on what I actually wanted to create and, once I figured it out, I never stopped! I started making silhouettes on a whim and I discovered that I really enjoyed it, so I made that my focus. I'm always trying to come up with new ideas for my pictures and I love experimenting with different materials and subjects :)

What type of merchandise will shoppers find in your shop?
Shoppers will find a variety of room decor for the children in their lives along with pictures for people of all ages and tastes. I have also created some pieces that feature vintage materials and vintage-style designs.

How/why did you get started?
I have been an Etsy shopper since 2010 and have always admired the shop owners and their work. One day I thought, "Why can't I do this, too?" I opened up my shop without having a clue as to how it would operate or what I would sell. I was very nervous at first but with the tremendous support of my fellow Etsians my shop blossomed and I grew into a confident shop owner.

Handmade with Love Tags (Set of 12)

How long have you been crafting? What got you started making silhouettes?
My father and uncle are both artists (amateur and professional), so creativity runs in my family. I have always loved crafting! I felt as though I had all of these ideas but no outlet for them until I discovered Etsy.
Once I started creating pictures with paper (such as, my Mary Poppins and Snow White pictures) I realized that silhouettes were a logical next step. I had no experience doing them and wasn't even sure if I would be any good at it. So, I just bought some paper, cutting tools,and got to work! It took me a while to get my technique down and learn what worked and what didn't. It was well worth the time and effort, though, because I absolutely love doing it!

What is your favorite thing to make?
My favorite things to make are my custom orders! I love getting a message from a customer with an idea for a picture and working with them to create something unique.

Custom Alphabet/Letter/Initial Art in Frame

What inspires you to create?
Anything and everything! I'm inspired greatly by fairy tales and books in general.

What is one thing you need to have with you while you craft?
Lots of paper :)

How do you balance mothering and running a small business?
It's not easy! With a very active 2½ year old and my neighbor's son (who is the same age) running around the house all day, I find that I really have to multi-task. Luckily, I have a very supportive husband who gives me the free time I need at night to get things done :)

Tinkerbell Inspired Picture Framed

What is your favorite thing to browse Etsy for?
Anything handmade! Jewelry, art, clothing, household items.I just love seeing all of the wonderful things that Etsians create!

When you're not crafting, what are you doing?
Spending time with my family, reading, running errands, and catching up on my favorite TV shows (thank goodness for my DVR!).

Mommy & Me Under the Stars Silhouettes Print

Where can we find you?
Etsy: www.etsy.com/shop/lilu1012
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pickwick-Press/180723035302525
Website: http://lilu1012.soopsee.com/

What is your favorite shop (not yours) on Etsy currently?
Towels by Mouse, Little Princess Pea, Peace, Baby! Batiks, OffTheHookByJen, The Cuddle Corner, Bottled Wonders, PK Stuff, Bluskys06, Melissa Wuest ... Just to name a few!

1 comment: