Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Feature Shop: Wonky Wares

Good morning! Today, meet Jen of Wonky Wares! She is an active member of our blog team -- she makes sure the things we post are proofread and error free! -Cheers! Cori of Peace, Baby! Batiks

What is your name?
Jen

Where are you located?

Wichita, KS, currently, but a native Floridian

Owl Earflap Hat

Tell us a little about yourself.
I'm a SAHM to three precious little boys, and when I'm not chasing them around or crafting, I love to read.

What type of merchandise will shoppers find in your shop?
In my shop, you will find crocheted hats for babies, children and grown-ups; handmade sweeper covers; greeting cards; and much more to come this spring, including baby sandals.

Brimmed Newsboy in Sage with Brown Flower

How/why did you get started?
Wonky Wares began out of my love for crocheting, especially girlie flowered hats and bright colors. Since I'm the only girl in the house, Wonky Wares lets me work with hot pink and lavender yarn and pass my creations on to others.

How long have you been crocheting? Papercrafting? How did you get started in these two crafts?
I've been crocheting for about five years. When I worked in the mental health field, one of our clients taught me a basic stitch, and I was "hooked" after that. I got some books, taught myself some more stitches and how to read patterns, and have enjoyed it ever since! I've been scrapbooking/papercrafting for about 12 years and love how this creative outlet also serves as a functional way to preserve our family's memories.

Reversible, Washable, Eco-Friendly Sweeper Sock

What is your favorite thing to make?
My favorite thing I've ever made was an open weave infant beanie with a big crocheted rosebud on the side. Something about the snowflake blue and winter white just went together perfectly, and the subtle fuzz of the yarn just felt like winter. It was elegant and feminine, and I loved it. I hope it's new owner loves it, too!

What inspires you to create?
I am inspired by bright colors and patterns; I love pairing different colors, and I especially love the spring and summer months when color is all around me!

What is one thing you need to have with you while you craft?
When I'm crafting, I need to have an empty room. I'm easily distracted, especially having three boys under four running around me all day, so when I craft, I like to close the door, put on headphones and just be alone for a little while. Pandora is also a must; preferably set to my Ben Folds station.

Pink Earflap Hat with Tassels and Flower Accent

How do you balance mothering and running a small business?
Figuring out how to balance motherhood and an Etsy shop has definitely been a process. I'm fortunate enough to have little ones that still nap (most days!), so naptime is my dedicated craft/business time. I don't always get to spend as much time as I'd like listing new items, and my "work-in-progress" basket is overflowing currently, but my number one job is motherhood, so I have to take advantage of every minute I can, and learn to cut myself some slack if the day's to-do list doesn't get completed.

What is your favorite thing to browse Etsy for?
Right now, my favorite thing to browse Etsy for is handmade lip balm/solid lotion. There are so many shops out there with some delicious-sounding flavors. I'm definitely in the market, if you have any recommendations!

When you're not crafting, what are you doing?
When I'm not crafting, I'm running after my boys, playing outside, catching up on sleep, or watching documentaries on Netflix with my hubby. Or reading, I love to read.

Cheerful Windmill "Happy Birthday" Card

Where can we find you?
You can find me at wonkywares.etsy.com or on Facebook at facebook.com/wonkywares

What is your favorite shop (not yours) on Etsy currently?
My favorite shop on Etsy has to be Boojiboo (boojiboo.etsy.com) I ADORE her aprons and wear the ones I have all the time. As an often too-casual, covered in crumbs/child goo mom, I love how wearing one of her retro inspired aprons makes me feel pretty, feminine, and dressy. They aren't just for the kitchen, sometimes I wear mine most of the day!

1 comment:

  1. You sound like a woman after my own heart! So fun getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete