Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Feature Shop: Off the Hook by Jen

Today, meet Jen of Off the Hook by Jen. Her pot scrubbers and Swiffer covers will have you cleaning in style! Cheers! -Cori of Peace, Baby! Batiks.

What is your name?
Jen

Where are you located?
Bolingbrook, IL

Set of 3 Pot Scrubbers
Tell us a little about yourself.
I have been married for 11 years, and have two children, Madison (6) and Colin (3). I am a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant and work very part time (a few days a month) at two local hospitals

What type of merchandise will shoppers find in your shop?
Currently I have coffee cup sleeves, pot scrubbers, and Swiffer covers. I am also planning on adding wash cloths, and I'm working on items for children as well.

Crochet Swiffer Cover with Scrubbing Stripes

How/why did you get started?
I have been making the pot scrubbers for several years and giving them away as gifts. I had been thinking about opening an Etsy shop for several months before I actually worked up enough courage to do it.

How long have you been crocheting? How did you get started?
I learned to crochet when I was in 3rd grade from my babysitter. I knew how to make chains and circles. I tried to sell them at my mom's yard sales. I don't think I sold a thing, and I stopped trying. :) Fast forward 15 years to my wedding shower, where my mom gave me a large bag of pot scrubbers. I LOVED them! When I got down to my last two, I asked my mom if she could get me more. Unfortunately, the woman who made them had passed away. So I took matters into my own hands, and armed with those two scrubbers and You Tube, I relearned how to crochet, and came up with my own variation of the pot scrubbers, and have been making them ever since.

Pink Cotton Coffee Cup Sleeve

What is your favorite thing to make?
Whatever I am working on at the moment.

What is one thing you need to have with you while you craft?
COFFEE!

How do you balance mothering and running a small business?
I tend to do most of my crocheting at night after the kids are in bed, while my husband and I are watching TV. I also crochet in the car, not while I'm driving of course. I try to keep a ball of yarn in the car, so I can pull it out while I'm waiting for my daughter to get out of school or waiting at the doctor's office. One of my biggest problems is that whenever I try something new, or get a new color, my daughter wants to have one just like it, so she's stashing away her own little inventory!

Crochet Swiffer Cover

What is your favorite thing to browse Etsy for?
Everything! I love seeing all the creativity and talent out there!

When you're not crafting, what are you doing?
Playing with the kids, watching TV, cooking/baking, reading. I'm pretty boring.

Where can we find you?
www.etsy.com/shop/OffTheHookbyJen
www.facebook.com/OffTheHookbyJen

Crochet Coffee Cup Sleeve

3 comments:

  1. I have to say that her Potscrubbers are awesome!!I bought some a few weeks ago and I love them. I just throw them in the washing machine with the kitchen towels and then just let them air dry.
    Plus, They're so pretty....Buy some....You know you want too..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the swiffer cover idea!! That is SO much more economical than going through box after box of those things. Way to go Jen! Nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete