Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Feature Shop: MegOri Girls

The adorable doll dresses and fabulous shoes at MegOri Girls make me want to be a little girl again. Meet Lang, the artist behind this week's feature shop! (And don't miss the photo of her awesome workspace at the end of the interview!) -Cori of Peace, Baby! Batiks


What is your name?
My name is Lang

Where are you located?
I am located in Schaumburg, IL

Tell us a little about yourself.
I was born and raised in Vietnam. I am married to an Irish man, and we have two girls. I graduated from Roosevelt University in Chicago, class 1997, with a concentration in Accounting. I had worked many years in the corporate accounting field before becoming a full-time stay home mom in 2005. 

What type of merchandise will shoppers find in your shop?
I sell handmade clothes and shoes for 18" dolls like American Girl dolls.

How long have you been crafting?
My mom taught me how to sew since I was a young girl in elementary school. She also sent me to sewing school in my teens. In college, I tried some clothes designing classes but had no interest to be in the volatile world of fashion design. Most of my sewing background was on women's and children's clothes. I had also done a few bride maid dresses for weddings and my own wedding dress. Sewing 18" doll clothes is relatively a new interest for me. In fact, I did not know or hear about AG dolls until my oldest daughter turned 4.

American Girl Dolls 18" Dolls Sandals -Italic Gold

Why did you decide to make clothing for this size doll?
I love the sweet and innocent image of girls that the 18" dolls represent! Looking at them I can really relate to my own girls.

What is your favorite thing to make?
Right now, I am into making doll shoes. I love shoes in general, so it is a perfect place for me to be.

American Girl Doll 18 Inch Dolls Dress Handmade 3 PC Set

What inspires you to create?
Knowing that the things I make help brighten someone's day.

What is one thing you need to have with you while you craft?
My cup of coffee is a must, sometimes soft music, most of the time I prefer to work in quietness.

American Girl 18" Dolls Bow Sandals Handmade - Lemons and Limes

How do you balance mothering and running a small business?
I used to think that working from home is an easy thing but not anymore. It has been a challenge trying to keep up with everything when you have children at home. It has been tough to balance everything but deep in my heart I know that there is nothing else I would rather do.

What is your favorite thing to browse Etsy for?
I love looking at cute art works that have short funny sayings that make me giggle.

American Girl 18" Dolls Sandals Handmade - Bow Style

When you're not crafting, what are you doing?
House cleaning, time with girls, and gardening.

Where can we find you?
https://www.facebook.com/MegOriGirlsBoutique
https://twitter.com/megorigirls
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MegoriGirls

18" Doll Tank Tunic-Dress 3 pc Set

What is your favorite shop (not yours) on Etsy currently?
I came across this art shop the other day, http://www.etsy.com/people/hjmart and love it. I like the whimsical, cheerful color compositions.

Lang's craft space. Raise your hand if you're jealous!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE the crafting space, Lang! I showed my husband and said, Make this Happen for me. :)

    Congrats on your feature!

    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lang...your craft space is awesome! I also went to Roosevelt University for my master's in education :) Small world! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GO, Lora! :) keep trying! It did take him a loooong time to finish the room (4 months), but he did, yay! I think drove him crazy with fabrics and sewing things all over the house. (my tactics worked ;) Thanks for your compliment!!

    Thanks, Ann! it's so nice to know that you also went to Roosevelt University! Small world is right!

    ReplyDelete