Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Feature Shop: Dirty Deeds Soaps

For Heather and Justin of Dirty Deeds Soaps, running an Etsy shop is all about teamwork. Meet them below, and learn more about their soaps! -Cori of Peace, Baby! Batiks

What is your name?
Justin and Heather

Where are you located?
Lubbock, TX

Tell us a little about yourself.
We enjoy being able to work from home and support our family. There is nothing like having your son's highchair two feet from your work desk. Even though I almost always have toys to step over and slobber to avoid, we wouldnt have it any other way.

We have a blended family of three kids, two teen girls and a toddler boy. We are getting married in October and are so excited. Justin proposed with a ring he actually bought on Etsy on Christmas Eve of this past year.

Bridal Shower Favors Handmade Soap

What type of merchandise will shoppers find in your shop?
Handmade soaps, bridal favors, shave accessories, and groomsmen ideas.

How/why did you get started?
I was working for a daycare company in which it cost me almost half of my income to keep my son there, and we knew we had to find a better way for me to contribute financially. Justin brought home some handmade soap, and there was such an immediate difference; we knew we had to find out more. We researched everything we could, made loads of soap and haven't looked back since.

Vintage Mug Shave Gift Set with Beer Soap

How long have you been crafting? What got you started in soapmaking?
We have been doing the business side of this for about year. I think I may have mistakenly answered this above, but its fun. Not that I get Justin to shave all that often...think lumberjack. :)

What are your favorite scents to work with? Why?
I like the fresh scents: grass, aloe, hints of floral like plumeria. Justin likes amber, sandalwood and patchouli. There are so many, it's hard to keep count.

What is your favorite thing to make?
Beer soaps

Wooden Men's Shave Set with Cigar Box

What inspires you to create?
I think our inspiration comes from the seasons, and right now, wedding planning.

What is one thing you need to have with you while you craft?
Music

How do you balance mothering and running a small business?
Sometimes its not always balanced. Most of the time if my house is clean, I'm behind in orders. If my orders are up, my kids need some quality time. But we all seem to support each other a lot, and our friends do as well. When they come over, its normal to see soaps curing, packaging material out, and toys on the floor.

Green Tweed Handmade Soap Shave or Bath Bar

What is your favorite thing to browse Etsy for?
Wedding-related, and I'm already thinking Christmas for my kiddos.

When you're not crafting, what are you doing?
Everything in the world it seems. lol

Where can we find you?
www.etsy.com/shop/DirtyDeedsSoaps
www.dirtydeedsoap.com
www.facebook.com/DirtyDeedsSoap

What is your favorite shop (not yours) on Etsy currently?
www.etsy.com/shop/bisongirl: I really love her unique footwear, and she is such a sweet seller.
www.etsy.com/shop/ReMainDesigns for her upcycled furniture and lighting

Part of Heather and Justin's workspace.
See more pictures of their process here!

No comments:

Post a Comment