Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Feature Shop: Little Owl's Nest

Happy June! You might remember Angie of Little Owl's Nest from our recent shop name contest. She shared the sweet story of how she named her shop and won! This week, meet Angie and find out more about her handmade business! -Cori of Peace, Baby! Batiks

What is your name?
Angie

Where are you located?
Suburbs of Kansas City

Tell us a little about yourself.
Married to my husband Sean and mom to Callie (2). I have a BFA in Interior Design from KU and worked as a Corporate Interior Designer for 12 years.

What type of merchandise will shoppers find in your shop?
Custom crib sets and changing pad covers and nursing pillow covers in every color

Changing Pad Cover in Lemon Yellow

How/why did you get started?
I was laid off in 2009 due to economy. Architectural projects are the first thing to get canceled in a bad economy and last to come back. I knew it was going to be awhile before the jobs came back and decided to try Etsy while on unemployment.

How long have you been crafting? What got you started sewing?
My grandmother was a quilter and knitter so I guess I have the genes for it. Intro to Sewing was a required class in middle school, and I loved it. My first job was in fabric store and I worked at various places all through high school and college, so sewing has always been part of my life.

What is your favorite thing to make?
Halloween costumes for my daughter. So far she has been a Wookie (part of a family costume) and Dorothy from Wizard of Oz.

What is your favorite kind of fabric to work with?
Good quality quilting cottons -- the colors are bright and the patterns are usually pretty true to grain. I'm a ripper.

Nursing Pillow Cover - Citrus Orange

What inspires you to create?
All the fun fabrics available. New stuff is always coming out. I love putting together patterns for crib set ideas. True up is a favorite blog to read.

What is one thing you need to have with you while you craft?
My scissors. No matter how many pairs I have they always seem to be on the other side of the room.

How do you balance mothering and running a small business?
I try to involve my daughter while I work and let her "help" if I'm trying to get something done during the day like package or cut stuff out. Mostly I work during nap time and after she goes to bed. I have her in preschool one day a week, and Saturday morning is a work day for mommy. Friday evenings are a no-work zone so I can spend time with my husband.

Dino Baby Bedding 5 piece Crib Set

What is your favorite thing to browse Etsy for?
My husband and I decided instead of getting each other gifts for our wedding anniversary, we would buy art. We both wanted to buy original good quality pieces but that can be tricky to fit into a budget. Once a year we get to splurge. Etsy is a great source for artwork that's not out of reach for us.

When you're not crafting, what are you doing?
Planning a garden or re-doing the house. Both are fixer-uppers. I'm weird, I enjoy yardwork and painting.

Sock Monkey Baby Bedding - Bumper, Skirt, Sheet

Where can we find you?
Etsy: www.etsy.com/shop/littleowlsnest
Facebook: www.facebook.com/LittleOwlsNest

What is your favorite shop (not yours) on Etsy currently?
www.etsy.com/shop/Twinwoodcarving -- He hand carves wood bowls -- and he's a stay at home dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment