Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Feature Shop: Pink Paisley Boutique

I've spent a fair amount of time ooh-ing and aah-ing over the jewelry pieces in Pink Paisley Boutique. Meet Sarah, the creative mom behind it all! -Cori of Peace, Baby! Batiks

What is your name?
Sarah Schmidt

Where are you located?
The lovely western 'burbs of Chicago.

Tell us a little about yourself.
I am a mother to three crazy kids and a wife to a wonderful German man, who I somehow convinced to move across the world for me. I love, love, love projects...it could be DIY projects around our old house, fixing up my daughter's room, gardening and, of course, making jewelry.

Silver Jumble Necklace

What type of merchandise will shoppers find in your shop?
Shoppers will find trendy, handmade jewelry at very affordable prices. There are a few tried and true styles that I keep around and will remake but, most of the time, I am trying to come up with new, original pieces.

How/why did you get started?
Like a lot of people on Etsy, I started making jewelry for fun. A good friend of mine taught me some of the basics and from there I was hooked, mostly because I loved being able to make something exactly the way I would want to wear it. I started selling to friends, then friends of friends, at parties, local craft shows, and then Etsy.

Multi-colored Bauble Bracelet

How long have you been crafting?
I've always loved creating; I can remember trying to sew myself a skirt when I was around 8.... needless to say, it didn't turn out that great! I've also dabbled in photography. But I have been making jewelry for the past 3 years.

What is your favorite thing to make?
Necklaces! There is something so feminine about draping something pretty around your neck. I never tire of trying to make necklaces that really grab attention.

What are your favorite materials to work with?
I really enjoy recreating old jewelry into something new. Many times, clients will bring me sentimental pieces of jewelry that have been inherited, and I will create a brand new piece of jewelry, incorporating those special items. It makes me feel good to know that I've made a wearable memory for someone.

What inspires you to create?
Oh anything and everything! Color, fashion, the right music.

Handsewn Linen and Pearl Cuff

What is one thing you need to have with you while you craft?
A nice cup of hot tea.

How do you balance mothering and running a small business?
It is an ever-evolving process, isn't it? I set aside a few hours every day for work, usually when at least two out of three kids are in school. Sometimes that means laundry will go unfolded for a little longer but, I figure, the more I treat my jewelry making like a job, the more successful I will become.

What is your favorite thing to browse Etsy for?
I love checking out vintage shops, not only for interesting pieces of jewelry but also for architectural finds, like old corbels somebody has pulled out of a house. I am a sucker for striking photography, if the item has been photographed well, I may just favorite the item for the sake of the photo alone.

Pastel Pearl Bauble Necklace

When you're not crafting, what are you doing?
Probably driving my kids to or from whatever activity they're involved in at the moment!

Where can we find you?
www.shoppinkpaisley.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/PinkPaisleyChicago

What is your favorite shop (not yours) on Etsy currently?
www.etsy.com/shop/UrbanFarmgirlAndCo: This shop always has something new to look at and her pictures are gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment