Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Tutorial Tuesdays

Wow, I'm late posting today. With the holiday weekend I almost forgot it was Tuesday instead of Monday!! Today's tutorial comes from Cori at Peace, Baby! Batiks.

Carrot Muffin with Cream Cheese Frosting:

So, when the week started, I had grand plans to roast the carrots from our farm share with beets, squash, and onions.
And then one friend said, “Carrot cake,” and another said, “Carrot muffins,” and I started thinking about cream cheese frosting.
Needless to say, the carrots didn’t get roasted. Instead, I poked around my cookbooks and compromised: healthy carrot muffins from The Whole Soy Cookbook with cream cheese frosting using light cream cheese. Even my kid, who won’t touch carrots with a 10-foot pole, liked the muffins, though he’s really after the frosting.

They’re dense but tasty. Next time I’ll do the variation of adding raisins and 1t of cinnamon.

Carrot Soy Muffins
Yield: 12
2c whole wheat pastry flour (I used plain whole wheat flour)
1/2t salt
2t baking powder
1c finely grated carrots
1/3c vegetable oil
1/2c honey
1/2c soy milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the carrots. In a medium bowl, combine the oil, honey and soy milk. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and mix just until moistened. (It’s even better if you’ve got a cute kid to help you with this step!)

Fill the muffin cups and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly brown and firm to the touch.
Once the muffins were cool, I frosted them.

Cream Cheese Frosting
I modified this receipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I didn’t have vegan cream cheese, but I did have light cream cheese (Neufchatel cheese).
1/4c margarine, softened
1/4c cream cheese, softened
2c confectioner’s sugar
1t vanilla
Cream together margarine and cream cheese. Add sugar 1/2c at a time, and mix until smooth and creamy. Mix in vanilla. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
My son helped me decorate the tops with sugar that I colored orange with food coloring.
 
Originally posted HERE.
 
These sure look tasty! I can't wait to try the recipe myself. Thanks Cori! And thanks to you for stopping by the blog today. Hope you all have a great week!
 
Monika, My Lovebug Baby

No comments:

Post a Comment